Privacy Notice and Confidentiality
Arlington is committed to protecting your personal information. This Privacy Notice is issued by Arlington Insurance Services Ltd (referred to as “we”, “us” and “our” in this Privacy Notice).
In order for us to obtain insurance quotes, place and administer insurance policies, and/or deal with any claims or complaints, we need to collect and process personal data about you.
Our Privacy Notice tells you what will happen to any personal data that you provide to us as a result of visiting our website, requesting or obtaining a quote or purchasing a product from us or one of our partners. It is written for the benefit of general visitors to our website. If you are a client of ours (or become one), we will process a wider range of personal data and deal with a broader range of privacy-related issues which we will provide you with during the engagement process.
The pages on our website are only directed at United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Channel Island residents and comply with appropriate UK legislation and regulation. The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is the primary piece of legislation defining your rights over our processing of your personal information. By providing personal information such as your name and e-mail address via the forms on this website, you agree to us contacting you with regard to the information provided.
Our ‘Lawful Reasons’ for collecting and processing your personal data
The GDPR requires us to declare which of six ‘lawful reasons’ we are relying on when we are processing your personal data. We will process any personal data lawfully under one or more of the following bases:
- Performance of a Contract: the processing is necessary for a contract we have with you, or because you have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract.
- Compliance with a Legal obligation: the processing is necessary for us to comply with the law (not including contractual obligations).
- Legitimate interests: the processing is necessary for our legitimate interests pursued by us. In such cases our legitimate interests are as follows:
– To add value to your product by offering you other general insurance products
– To provide excellent service to our customers by ensuring they are fully informed about all of our products.
– To engage in activities to improve and adapt the range of products and services we offer and to help our business grow
– To investigate and prevent potential fraudulent and other illegal activity
- Consent: where you have given clear consent for us to process your personal data for a specific purpose. In circumstances where we need your consent to process data we will make this clear, unambiguous and you will have to pro-actively agree to the processing. We can seek your consent within a written or electronic document or verbally. Where processing is based on consent, you can withdraw your consent to processing at any time so that we stop that particular processing.
- Necessary for reasons of substantial public interest: it is proposed under the UK Data Protection Bill that processing for an insurance purpose is included within this basis when processing special category and conviction data. This would remove the need for explicit consent in some cases.
We will use personal information about you primarily in connection with the provision of insurance. This may consist of:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website. This includes information provided by you in our contact and quote forms or when you request material or further services. We also may ask you for information.
- When you contact us for an insurance quotation we collect the relevant information needed by an insurer to assess the risk and calculate the premium and understand your insurance needs. We collect this information during our meetings and/or via our website or telephone conversations with you and through the completion of proposal forms and fact finds.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also collect information when you voluntarily complete surveys that we use for research purposes or provide feedback.
- Details of your visits to our website and the resources that you access.
- Your IP address (this is your computer’s individual identification number for internet connection) that is automatically logged by our web server. This is used to note your interest in our website.
The information we collect will be passed to insurers to enable them to calculate a competitive insurance quotation to meet your requirements. In order to obtain the most competitive cover it may be necessary to pass your information to other insurance intermediaries who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Information provided by you may be put onto a register of claims and shared with other insurers to prevent fraudulent claims.
How we share personal data
We may disclose personal data to third parties including insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries or other brokers, outsourcers, sub-contractors, agents and service providers, claim handlers, premium finance providers, professional advisers and auditors. Third parties to whom we disclose personal data are required by law and contractual undertakings to keep personal data confidential and secure, and to use and disclose it for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances, in compliance with all applicable legislation.
We may also share your information with and obtain information about you from credit reference agencies. If you require information about the credit reference agency we have received information from please do not hesitate to contact us. Please note that any searches undertaken prior to you proceeding with your application will be soft searches and will not affect your credit rating.
Retention of your personal data
We will keep your personal data only for so long as is necessary and for the purpose for which it was originally collected. In particular, for so long as there is any possibility that either you or we may wish to bring a legal claim under this insurance, or where we are required to keep your personal data due to legal or regulatory reasons.
General Data Protection Act (GDPR)
Under the provisions of this act we are obliged to seek express provision from you to keep you informed about products, services and information that we feel you need to be aware of in respect of general insurance. You have a right to obtain a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. If you believe that any information held is incorrect or incomplete, you should contact us. Any information that is found to be incorrect or incomplete will be amended promptly. You also have a right to “be forgotten”, this means you can ask for the information which we hold about you to be deleted from our records but this will mean that we will be unable to continue to handle your insurance arrangements.
Unless required by law or public interest or you give your consent, all information you supply will be kept confidential to us and parties involved in the normal course of arranging your insurance. We use the services of www.sanctionssearch.com to meet our regulatory obligations to check HM Treasury Sanctions Lists.
Third Party Links
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from third-party websites, plug-ins and applications, including without limitation websites of our partner networks and affiliates. Clicking on those links may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. Please note that these third-party websites have their own privacy notices and we do not control those websites or accept any responsibility or liability for these privacy notices. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit. This notice is specific to our website.
Information on deleting or controlling cookies is available at www.aboutcookies.org. Please note that by deleting our cookies or disabling future cookies you may not be able to access certain areas or features of our site.
Changes to this Privacy Notice and your duty to inform us of changes
This notice may be updated from time to time. We encourage you to review this notice regularly when you visit our website to learn more about how we are using your personal data and safeguarding your privacy.
This version is dated 5th July 2018 and historic versions can be obtained by contacting our Data Protection Officer.
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us.
For any questions about this Privacy Notice or our data protection practices, or to make a subject access request, please contact our Data Protection Officer at: Arlington Insurance Services Ltd, Goldsmiths House, 137-141 Regent Street, London, W1B 4HZ.