Your broker for real estate insurance and professional indemnity
Call us now: LONDON : 020 7734 3346 BRISTOL : 0117 387 8880

Professional Indemnity insurance for specialists in the building services sector

Whatever work you undertake within the building services sector, whether as a specialist engineer or design consultant, it is important you have appropriate insurance cover in place. If an error in your work causes project delays or rectification costs for your end client, this could have a serious impact on your business both in terms of time and money.

At Arlington, our specialist team will take care of your PI insurance requirements, securing appropriate cover to meet your demands and needs. We can assist professionals who work in the following areas:

  • Building services engineers, designers and consultants
  • Heating, ventilation and air conditioning engineers and contractors
  • Mechanical engineers, contractors and consultants
  • Electrical engineers, contractors and consultants
  • Telecoms engineers and consultants
  • Wiring engineers and consultants
  • Refrigeration engineers and consultants
  • Cooling engineers and consultants
  • Consultant engineers
  • Lighting professionals, engineers and consultants
  • Facilities consultants
  • Fire safety consultants
  • Alarm consultants
  • Electrical services engineers
  • Facilities management engineers and consultants

Is PI cover mandatory?

Generally speaking, it may not be compulsory for building services professionals to hold PI insurance. However, many firms find they are required to hold PI insurance as a contractual obligation for certain projects.  This is particularly true for contracts with local authorities. For some, their professional bodies also require evidence of insurance in order to qualify for membership. If you are unsure, you should check with your relevant professional or trade body to find out what type of insurance and level of cover they recommend.

Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)

The Institution of Engineering and Technology

Association for Consultancy and Engineering (ACE)

The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)

The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE)

The Engineering Council (UK)

The Building Engineering Services Association (The BESA)

The Chartered Association of Building Engineers

The Chartered Institute of Building

Federation of Environmental Trade Associations (FETA)

Electrical Contractors Association (ECA)

National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC)

Institute of Telecommunications Professionals (ITP)

Federation of Communication Services

Institution of Lighting Professionals (ILP)

The British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM)


Obtaining a quote
It is quick and easy to buy your PI cover from us online

Get a quote

Alternatively, if you’d prefer to speak to us, please call Verena Cole on 0117 387 8880 or Anna Lloyd on 0117 387 8881 or email